| V200 001-005|
The BZA (Bundesbahn Zentralamt) in Munich tested the V200 001 for more than a year. The results
were used for the series locomotives. The prototype locomotives came to the Frankfurt Griesheim depot
after the test runs. They ran trains from Frankfurt to Hamburg, to the Ruhr area and south Germany.
A special trip was chosen for V200 005. From April 23rd 1955 until May 15th she made a test and publicity
trip through Jugoslavia, Greece and Turkey. From 1956 the prototype locomotives got company from the first
series locomotives. In 1962 the 5 moved to Würzburg depot, but their duties stayed the same. After the
electrification of the north-south line, the prototypes ran less important trains between Bamberg, Nürnberg,
Heilbronn, Heidelberg and Crailsheim. Again due to electrification all 5 moved to Oldenburg depot. From 1975
they got their own seperate duties in the area around Oldenburg. This was done because of their
differencies with the series locomotives also in the Oldenburg depot. But sometimes they could also be
seen in front of the Northsea- and Scandinavia-Holland Express. Far from home they turned in Hengelo (NL).
Sometimes even with a freight train. In 1978 the first two of the prototypes were taken out of service, followed
by the other three in 1980.
| V200 006-086|
As mentioned in the left column the Frankfurt-Griesheim depot received the first V200.0 in 1956.
In 1958 five Hamburg depot assigned locomotives wer also transferred her. After only 6 years Frankfurt-Griesheim
ended up being a V200.0 depot due to the electrification of the line Hanau - Fulda.
Most of the locomotives moved to Villingen, the 5 from Hamburg went
back to their original home and some others went to Hamm, Kempten and Würzburg.
Hamburg-Altona depot received the first V200.0 in 1956 from the MaK plant in Kiel. In 1958 Hamburg-Altona
had 18 V200.0, 8 from MaK and 10 from Krauss-Maffei. Subsequently many locomotives were transferred about.
The Hamburg locomotives ran mostly in northern germany, but also worked express
trains to Würzburg and Heilbronn. After electrification of central Germany, the V200.0 of Hamburg-Altona
lost their express train work. In 1972 the V200 moved from Hamburg-Altona to Lübeck, but kept the same duties.
For fourteen years (from 1956 until 1970) Hamm was a home for the V200.0. Due to the strategic position
of this depot at the junction of several lines, the V200.0 of Hamm ran passenger trains as well as
freight trains in a wide area. They even came to Kiel and Wiesbaden and also crossed the border to
Arnhem in the Netherlands.
Villingen depot in the beautiful Schwarzwald had the class V200.0 for quite a long time. They ran
also together with steam locomotives but also with the more powerfull V200.1. Due to electrification Villingen
depot lost their V200.0 in 1975. Most of the locomotives moved to Oldenburg and Lübeck.
Although Kempten depot was quite a big V200.1 depot, only 6 V200.0 were here from 1962 to 1965.
Next to the prototypes Würzburg depot got several V200.0 from other depots between 1957 and 1975. Most
of the locomotives went to Oldenburg in 1975, some others to Lübeck.
Both depots Limburg/Lahn and Kaiserslautern depots had only a few V200.0 for a period of less than 10 years.
Due to electrification around Hamm, a lot of V200.0 moved from Hamm to Hannover in 1968 and 1969. They
worked passenger- and freight trains to Helmstedt, Oebisfelde (DDR), Hagen and Hengelo (NL). One of the
famous long distance trains was the Bad Harzburg - Amsterdam express. This train consisted of 6
dutch plan D-coaches and was hauled by a V200.0 between Bad Harzburg and Hengelo. Although all locomotives
moved to Braunschweig depot in 1975, their duties did not change. This didn't last long, in 1976 all
V200.0 moved to Oldenburg due to electrification.
Oldenburg depot had already received V200.0 from Villingen
and Würzburg in 1975 and became a big V200.0 depot. The V200.0 from Oldenburg depot ran in Niedersachsen and
the north part of Nordrhein-Westfalen. Famous trains for the V200.0 where the passenger trains on the socalled
Emslandstrecke Norddeich - Münster. They could also be seen with several types of passenger coaches on the
Oldenburg - Osnabrück line. Starting in 1979 a large number of V200.0 were taken out of service and scrapped in Trier.
Again due to electrification of several lines, the V200.0 from Oldenburg depot became obsolete and moved
to Lübeck. In 1981 Danish Railways rented 6 V200.0 which came from Oldenburg and Lübeck depots.
In 1983 the last V200.0 left Oldenburg for Lübeck and thus ended the great V200.0 era at Oldenburg depot which
had 72 V200 at one time.
Lübeck depot was the last V200.0 depot. In 1972 this depot received the first V200.0, although from 1956
V200.0 from other depots came to Lübeck. Most V200.0 came from Hamburg-Altona, Kaiserslautern, Villingen
and ofcourse Oldenburg. From Lübeck depot they ran "Nahverkehrs- and Eilzügen" in northern Germany. Most
known lines were Hamburg-Lübeck-Travemünde, Lübeck-Kiel and Hamburg-Cuxhaven where they also ran freight
trains. From 1980 more and more locomovites were taken out of service and were scrapped, stored or soled.
In 1984 the last 8 V200.0 left Lübeck together in one train for Nürnberg and that was the end of the V200.0
with german state railways (DB).
| V200 101-150|
Both Kempten and Villingen depots received V200.1 locomotives between 1962
and 1965, Kempten got 17 and Villingen got 12 of the more powerful version
of the V200.0. The Kempten locomotives worked both passenger and freight
trains around the Bodenlake and in the Allgaü area. They served mainly the
lines from Kempten to München, Augsburg and Ulm, and also München - Lindau
and Ulm - Friedrichshafen. Due to the fact that the new swiss coaches had
electrical heating, the V200 were replaced by 210 and 218 class locomotives
in 1975 and were moved to Villingen.
The V200 from Villingen depot worked in a rather large area, they could be seen all over south Germany except the
eastern parts. Again, like the Kempten locomotives, they worked all trains on the non-electrified lines which
includes the famous Schwarzwaldbahn from Villingen to Offenburg.
After electrification of several lines and replacement of V200 duties by
class 218 from the Regensburg depot the Villingen V200.1 became obsolete. Some locomotives were moved in
1977 to Gelsenkirchen-Bismarck, others went to Oldenburg.
The Hamburg-Altona depot received 4 new V200.1 from the factory in 1965 and another two were transferred from Lübeck depot.
They worked express trains to Osnabrück, Flensburg, Kiel and Lübeck. In 1967
they moved to Lübeck due to reorganisation of the depots. Between 1963 and
1965 the Lübeck depot received 17 new V200.1. The Hamburg - Puttgarden,
Hamburg - Hannover and Hannover - Lübeck lines was their working area with
passenger trains. They also ran heavy freight trains in northern Germany and
even passed the border into Denmark. Due to the electrification of the
Hamburg - Hannover line, Flensburg, Osnabrück and Westerland came within
reach. From 1972 more of the V200.1 were replaced by class 218 (again).
Between 1978 and 1980 all V200.1 left Lübeck depot for
Gelsenkirchen-Bismarck and Oldenburg.
From 1976 until 1980 Oldenburg depot was, next to the V200.0, the home of
V200.1. The V200.1 worked passenger
and freight trains to Emden, Bremen, Wilhelmshaven and Osnabrück. Also the
Emslandline Emden - Rheine - Münster route was in their working area. Famous
service was the 4000 ton ore trains which one V200.1 worked together
with a class 043 steam locomotive. In the end all V200.1 moved to
Together with the early V200.1 received from Villingen, all V200.1 that were
left were gathered in Gelsenkirchen-Bismarck
in 1980. They were used mainly for freight trains as replacement for steam
locomotives. Again because of
reorganisation of the depot structures, all V200.1 were moved in 1982 to the
Oberhausen 1 depot. Their duties
didn't change and they still worked freight traines in the Ruhr area. The
locomotives that still had their steam heating boilers were also used for
winter sport trains from Osnabrück and Münster to Winterberg (Sauerland).
A special task was performed when the V200.1 transported trains with
building materials for highway A31.
Due to falling freight transportion the V200.1 were taken out of service on
a periodically basis from 1987 until 1988.